• Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
• 4 (6-ounce) catfish fillets, cut into strips
• 1 cup yellow cornmeal
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• ½ tablespoon ground cumin
• ½ tablespoon smoked paprika
• 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
• ½ teaspoon onion powder
• ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• ½ teaspoon kosher salt
• ¼ teaspoon black pepper
• ¾ cup buttermilk
• 8 (6-inch) flour or corn tortillas, warmed
• 1 ¼ cups shredded red cabbage
• Desired taco fillings
• Lime wedges, for serving
- Fill a deep skillet with 2 inches of oil.
- Heat the oil to 350 degrees F.
- Pat fish dry with paper towels.
- Add the cornmeal and flour to a shallow dish with the cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the buttermilk into another shallow dish.
- Dip the fish in the milk then coat in the cornmeal and flour mixture. Shake off any excess.
- Fry the fish in batches for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Divide the fried fish among the warmed tortillas.
- Add the cabbage as well as any other desired taco fillings.
- Serve with lime wedges.