- 1 cup uncooked brown lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Check the lentils for stones, shriveled lentils or any other debris.
- Transfer to a saucepan and rinse under cold water then drain.
- Add three cups of water to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté the carrots and onion for 4-5 minutes before adding the garlic.
- Continue to sauté for another 2 minutes or so.
- Add the curry powder and continue to stir until fragrant. This wakes up the spices.
- Pour in the tomato sauce, add the lime zest and cooked lentils along with some salt and black pepper.
- Stir then let simmer for 4-5 minutes so everything heats through and the flavors meld.
- Serve with the lime wedges.