- 3/4 Cup Gluten free rolled oats
- 2/3 Cup Brown rice flour
- 1/4 Cup Amaranth flour
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 Cup Almonds
- 3/4 Cup Boiling water
- 1/3 Cup Molasses or honey
- 1/2 tsp Pure almond extract
- 1/2 Cup Dried apricots
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, rice flour, amaranth flour and baking soda.
- Grind the almonds to a fine powder in a blender. Gradually add enough water to bring the level up to 1 cup.
- With the machine running, add the molasses or honey and almond extract. Add the apricots and process with a few on/off turns to chop them; do not puree.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the flour bowl. Stir to mix.
- Turn out into an oiled 1 qt. mold or 1 lb can. Cover with a square of wax paper or foil (shiny side down); tie wax paper securely with a piece of string.
- Place the mold on a wire rack in a Dutch oven or large stockpot. Add enough boiling water to the pot to come halfway up the sides of the mold.
- Cover the pot tightly, and steam the bread over med-low heat for 2 hours Do not remove the cover during the cooking time. Remove the mold from the pot.
- Cool the bread in the mold for 15 min, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For best results, slice with a serrated knife.