- 1⁄2 cup strong black coffee
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 2 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 ounces fresh small white mushrooms, lightly rinsed and patted dry
- 6 medium shallots, halved length wise
- 12 ripe cherry tomatoes
- In a small sauce pan, combine the coffee, soy sauce, ketchup, oil, hot sauce, sugar, salt, and black pepper.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, then keep warm over very low heat.
- Thread the bell pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, shallots, and cherry tomatoes onto skewers and arrange them in a shallow baking dish.
- Pour about half of the mop sauce over the skewered vegetables and marinate at room temperature for 20 minutes. Pre heat the grill.
- Remove the skewered vegetables from the pan, reserving the marinade.
- Place the skewers on the grill directly over the heat source.
- Grill until the vegetables are browned and tender, turning once half way through, about 10 minutes total.
- Transfer to a platter and spoon the remaining sauce over all. Serve fresh.