• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• ¾ cup yellow cornmeal
• 1 tablespoon baking powder
• ½ tablespoon baking soda
• 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
• 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• ½ teaspoon onion powder
• ¼ teaspoon black pepper
• 1 egg, beaten
• 1/3 cup whole milk
• Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Stir until the batter comes together. Add more milk if needed.
- Cover the batter and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. The low temperature will keep the hush puppies warm as you fry them in batches.
- Fill a deep pot with two inches of oil. Heat to 350 degrees F.
- Fry tablespoonfuls of the batter for 2-3 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Transfer the hush puppies to a baking sheet then into the oven to keep warm.