- 2 cups water
- 1 cup millet
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup brown lentils, picked over, rinsed, and drained
- 1 cup chopped white mushrooms
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup vegetable broth 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
- Pre heat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 3-quart casserole and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, bring the water to boil. Salt the water, add the millet, cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer until the millet is cooked, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast and margarine and set aside.
- In a separate large sauce pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and carrots. Cover and cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, lentils, mushrooms, corn, peas, broth, thyme, marjoram, and salt and black pepper to taste.
- Cover and simmer until the lentils are soft and the mixture has thickened, about 40 minutes, adding a little water if the mixture becomes too thick.
- Place the lentil mixture into the prepared casserole, spoon the cooked millet on top, and spread it evenly over the lentil mixture.
- Sprinkle with paprika. Bake until hot, about 30 minutes. Serve fresh.