• 4 medium-sized potatoes
• Olive oil
• 2 leeks, washed and chopped
• 2 white onions, chopped
• 3 minced garlic cloves
• ½ cup red wine
• 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
• Kosher salt
• Black pepper
• 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into thin slices.
- Place into a pot filled with cold water and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drizzle about a tablespoon of oil into a saucepan and heat over medium-high.
- Sauté the leeks and onions for 5 minutes or until softened and fragrant.
- Add the garlic and continue to sauté for an additional minute.
- Pour in the red wine and scrape the bottom of the pan to remove any flavorful browned bits.
- Add the tomatoes with the canning juices as well as a generous pinch of salt, and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain the potatoes and arrange in a greased casserole dish in an even layer.
- Pour the tomato sauce mixture over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top then cover the casserole dish with foil.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Uncover for the last 10 minutes so the cheese browns.