- 1 ½ cups uncooked quinoa
- 3 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 peeled garlic clove
- Pinch of red chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds and ribs removed then minced
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup freshly chopped parsley
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water to remove the bitter-tasting saponin from the exterior.
- Add to a medium pot with the water or vegetable broth, garlic clove, and chili flakes.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover and let simmer for 12-15 minutes or until almost all the liquid has absorbed and the quinoa is tender.
- Drain any excess liquid, fluff and set aside.
- Retrieve the garlic clove and mash into a large salad bowl.
- Add the oil and lemon juice as well. Whisk.
- Transfer the quinoa to the bowl as well as the jalapeno, mango, and onion.
- Toss to coat.
- Add the cilantro and parsley.
- Toss again then serve.